Sunday, September 7, 2008

Long Time, no Post

I haven't posted in quite some time. But that doesn't mean I lost interest in squirrels. I was just busy with other things. Squirrels do occasionally come to my feeder, but I haven't seen any in a while.

I have been spying (but not posting) on an anti-squirrel message board, and they are constantly bragging about their anti-squirrel criminal behavior. Some brag about how they love to kill during the breeding season when babies are vulnerable, and the same one was making false claims about death threats from "huggers" (that's us.) Another one has been reported by his neighbor to the police, alleging that the police reports against him are false. Some of them use a cruel device called a Tube Trap, which I have only recently learned exists. Being a squirrel enthusiast for over 12 years, you would think I would have known about such a trap. I believe it has been hidden from the public because of it's illegality, although some websites sell the trap. I will only post a link to the message board upon request, because it is quite disturbing.

3 comments:

squirrelmama said...

I think it is horrifying that anyone would even think of doing harm to these animals, and I think humans ought to consider using their time and energies for more constructive purposes. I, for one, am glad you are keeping an eye out for the squirrels' well-being.

Anonymous said...

I learned how to pet a wild squirel that comes to a feeder we set out for them. First, start my barely touching the tail fur and only when they are eating. Then work your way to petting the whole tail. They are really jumpy when young and like to be scratched on the back. I learned the hard way: (only when they are eating). Got bit by a squirrel I thought would take a nut out of my hand and lets me pet him, but was so excited and hungry and thought my finger was food, ouch! But the same squirrel still gets petting. Peacans are their favorite nut, followed by cashews and almonds. Carrollton TX area.

dayna said...

I rescued a cat squirrel during Ike. He looks about 7 weeks old. I feed him about 5-7 cc 4 times a day of puppy formula with a syringe. He started nibbling on a grape, pecan and sunflower seed today. He seems healthy except for his tail. It feels lumpy. On the underside of it is raw and bleeding slightly. What do you think this is? Do you think it could be a parasite under the skin. There are no visible parasites on his body. He fur looks healthy without any missing except the underside of his tail. I can tell his belly is fuller since I have had him the last 2 weeks and he has gone from eating only 3 cc a feeding. Thank you for your help.
Dayna