Thursday, April 5, 2007

Squirrel Hiking on the Roy Orr Trail

Hiking boots? Check. Squirrel-themed scout shirt? Check. Binoculars? Check. Digital Camera? Check. Bug repellant? Check. Ball cap with squirrel embroidery patches? Check.

While I probably didn't need all that to watch squirrels, you get the picture. Earlier today, in the morning, I hiked on a trail called Roy Orr Trail in Desoto TX. I saw at least 8 squirrels.

I've observed many different behaviors, such as foraging in trees, foraging on the ground, resting, eating, persuing and being persued by other squirrels, etc. One buck seemed to be persuing a doe about twice his size. The last squirrel I saw was a doe who sat calmly on a tree branch next to a nest which looked too small to be a squirrel nest. She stayed still for some pictures. I used my binoculars as an extra zoom for the camera, though that did not result in perfect pictures.

No comments: